With a couple of days of freedom before starting my new job, I was in the mood for a leisurely lunch spent flicking through the papers. As far as watering holes go, I like the airy and eclectic feel of the Loungers group (21 UK outposts including Juno Lounge –Roath, Fino Lounge – Whitchurch and Ocho Lounch – Penarth). However, at £3.40 for a pint of Beck’s and having been served a number of average yet pleasant meals on previous visits, they haven’t entirely won me over.
The Burger – 6oz Hamburger (served pink – according to the menu)
1. How was the patty? The reason I’d ordered the 6oz hamburger instead of the 8oz prime English beef burger (£8.50) was because unlike its larger sibling, it was advertised as being served pink. Sadly, it looked very much brown and as a result, the well seasoned patty was disappointingly dry.
2. How was the bun? A generic floured white bap. A bit like the kind of thing you serve at a family barbeque.
3. How was the other stuff in the bun? Unassuming melted cheddar restored some moisture to the burger, whilst a couple of leaves of iceberg and slices of tomato and red onion added to its slightly homemade looking appearance. A handy toolbox of condiments included ketchup and mayonnaise. Lastly, a halved Gherkin tasted uncannily similar to a jar of Mrs Ellswood’s I’ve got lurking in the fridge.
4. How were the fries? Good French fries; crisp and salty, they were the strongest element of the dish.
5. What was the price? £7.95 + 70p for cheese
6. How was the service? Friendly
7. So what's the verdict? Disappointingly mediocre but miraculously still better than Wellfield Road’s other burger offering…..
Address – Juno Lounge, 14 Wellfield Road, Roath, Cardiff, CF24 3PB
Telephone - 02920 198 990