Saturday 16 August 2014

A few more of the best places to eat in Cardiff

I’ve been a bit tardy updating my list of the best places to eat in Cardiff.

In fact, as Cardiff’s food scene keeps going from strength to strength, I thought I’d just share a whole new bunch of recommendations.

So, here they are in no particular order, a few more of Cardiff’s best restaurants, cafes and bakeries:

Caffe Citta – A tiny City Centre Italian resto with a huge reputation. Pizzas are cooked in a wood-fired oven and beers are served in iced glasses.


Mowlana – The best chicken shish in the ‘diff and fresh breads bigger than a frisbee are dished up at this Persian restaurant.


Nata & Co – Killer custard tarts are just some of the epic pastries at this Splott-based Portuguese bakery.


Restaurant James Sommerin – Ok, it’s not Cardiff but this Penarth restaurant is the area’s great hope for a Michelin star. 


Bangkok Café – A stalwart of the Cardiff food scene, Bangkok Café’s Thai food is packed full of spice and fragrance. 


Kimchi – Grill your own meats on tabletop hotplates at this Canton-based Korean restaurant. Make sure you also stuff your face with their Korean fried chicken and bibimbap. 


My Place - Hearty, rustic Polish food is served at My Place. It’s not exactly warm-weather food but I’ve dreamt about their smoky borscht, beer braised ham hock and sauerkraut on many a cold winter’s night. 


Yakitori#1 – My pick of Cardiff’s Japanese restaurants. Super fresh sushi, groaning hand rolls, uber-crisp tempura and lush noodles all feature on the menu.


Hogwurst - Native Breeds frankfurters and Allen’s Bakery brioche rolls combine to make Hogwurst's killer hotdogs.


Kumar’s - The lamb kothu parotta served at this City Road South Indian restaurant is one of my favourite things to eat in the whole of Cardiff.


Calabrisella - Thin crust Italian pizzas the size of a car wheel are served at this deceptively cheap and cheerful looking Canton based Italian restaurant.


Burger & Lobster - The best burger in Cardiff in my book. Served a perfect medium-rare, it's devastatingly juicy, ridiculously tasty and eye-wateringly expensive at £20. 


Bar 44 Cardiff - Praise the Lord that modern tapas heroes Bar 44 have opened a Cardiff city centre branch.


The Grazing ShedGot Beef & BrewDog – This trio collectively raised the game for Cardiff’s burger scene. They've only recently been surpassed by Burger & Lobster.



5 comments:

  1. Mowlana is incredible value - and you can bring your own wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Graham - Great news on the BYOB. Will remember that next time!

      Delete
  2. I haven't actually tried any of those spots yet so I better add them to my own list. I've just posted a few places I've visited and thoroughly enjoyed in Cardiff lately, let me know what you think/if you've been to any of them.

    Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alice - Thanks for dropping by! Emma Jane cupcakes look lush - I'll have to give them a whirl.

      Delete
  3. Great great great list. All my faves (bar potted pig) are here. Must tick off the ones I've missed

    ReplyDelete