Sunday 20 February 2011

Guilty Pleasures No1 - Sausage and Egg McMuffin

Sausage and Egg McMuffin in all its glory

Yesterday was my Stag do and with a serious day of drinking and partying ahead of me, I knew that it was a necessity that my stomach was well lined. With the house tidied and ready for the arrival of 15 overnight guests I was ready for my pilgramage to the McDonalds drive through.

Most of my waking hours are spent thinking about food and I've had a number of internal debates about which is the best chocolate bar, pudding, meat, type of cereal, flavour of milkshake, sandwich filling etc etc etc ad infinitum. With regard to the debate: "Which is the best breakfast?" there is only one winner for me and it is by a country mile at that.

McMuffin with Hash Brown

The Sausage and Egg McMuffin is the best breakfast in the world. End of Story. It knocks Eggs Benedict, French Toast, Waffles and Maple Syrup, Scrambled Egg and Smoked Salmon or any other lovingly crafted homemade breakfast into a cocked hat. Everything about this dish is perfect. The pillowy texture of the English muffin, the ooze of melted 'yellow' cheese, the perfectly herbed sausage patty (sage?) and the intriguing yet incredibly delicious fried egg ice hockey puck. I've tried recreating the recipe myself at home and must admit it just doesn't taste the same.

Too many McMuffins for one man?

Now one Sausage and Egg McMuffin is never enough so it always ends up being two. And, I tend to throw in a hash brown for good measure. McDonalds coffee ain't half bad either nowadays so all in all you can't go wrong. I'm not alone in my views either (which somewhat reassures me). The great man himself MPW likes to pick one up after he's been for a spot of shooting. I didn't go shooting after my McMuffin but it definitely helped me achieve my last place finish in Go Karting later in the day.

I've been thinking of starting a petition to get the McMuffin extended to the all day menu but perhaps I'm the only one crazy enough to have a hankering for one at 7pm in the evening.....

7 comments:

  1. This is a long overdue online debut and is absolutely first class. I await the doner bun review from Gardies in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schneider,

    Upcoming reviews of course include the The Gardenia doner bun, pork scratchings and curry pot noodle. No stone will be left unturned by my incisive journalistic approach into the UK junk food market. I will be defending those who cannot defend themselves - Multinational corporations and fast food outlets who don't know how to use the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where to begin? Greggs is a must. Wimpys. Dallas Fried Chicken or somesuch derivative. Rustlers. Petrol station pasties.

    You'll be interested to read this:
    http://www.fastfoodnation.co.uk/origins-fast-food-uk.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. interestingly, in my oriental youth a sauage mcmufin without egg was a standard menu item, and probably my favourite. without the bulk of egg the salitiness of the patty can realy shine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sense you have a good insight into these things GourmetGorro. I would be grateful if you could recommend a kosher alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorro - on the fast-food front, this portends glorious days ahead. Just don't tell Hugh Fearnley W:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/18/britains-fried-chicken-boom

    ReplyDelete