Sunday 18 December 2011

GourmetGorro's top 5 dishes of 2011

Making a best of list is a highly subjective process which always provokes much discussion and debate. But that’s part of the fun isn’t it? Can that really be the best epic fail on youtube? Is that really the best album of 2011? Surely El Celler De can Roca is the best restaurant in the world? It's got to be better than a place where they put bits of foraged shrub on a plate.

So just to add to the fun here’s the 5 best things that I’ve eaten this year.

5. Bone in Ribeye steak, Delmonico’s, Las Vegas. I’m yet to have a steak in the UK which comes anywhere close to those I’ve eaten in the US. I definitely need to pay a visit to Hawksmoor in 2012.


4. Lobster fish finger, Roger Jones guest chef night,Ffresh, Cardiff. I’m still dreaming of this dish nearly 3 weeks later. I now understand why lobster is such a delicacy.


3. St Brides bay crab, lime jelly, mizuma leaves, saffronsnaps, The Grove at Narberth – The best meal of my honeymoon and therefore understandably fairly memorable. Clean tasting, fresh crab with perfectly balanced accompaniments.


2. Pine nut pannacotta, amalfi lemon sorbet, smell of theamalfi coast, Casamia, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol –The only dessert in my top 5 and the most theatrical dish I’ve eaten in 2011. The Sanchez-Iglesias brothers are geniuses. I’m definitely going back in 2012 to sample their new seasons concept.



1. Double –Double animal style, In-n-Out Burger, Las Vegas – I’d love In-n-Out to open up in the UK. On the other hand I’d weigh 40 stone. 


1 comment: