Thursday 24 March 2022

Riley's Fish Shack, Tynemouth restaurant review


Never doubt a Northern portion size.

It's something I should have reminded myself of during my visit to Riley's Fish Shack in Tynemouth.

Located in the picturesque King Edward’s Bay, I can't think of many nicer spots to guzzle some fish.


Constructed from shipping containers, Riley’s combines a sheltered outdoor terrace with plenty of blankets and stunning views out to sea; a small indoor dining room; and a kitchen where locally sourced fish is cooked over charcoal and wood.

However, as I browsed their chalkboard menu, with dishes including pan roast turbot (£34) and crispy halibut (£29), I second guessed myself and ordered what sounded like a small plate and a main. How wrong I was…



A half of Two by Two Idaho 7 pale ale (£3) was a juicy treat. I really wish more restaurants moved with the times and served a quality hoppy beer or two.


With none of the advertised Rockerfeller oyster topping available, the kitchen cooked up an alternative on the fly. A plump, sweet and briny Lindisfarne oyster (£3.65) was bathed in a big flavoured hit of dry white wine, green herbs and lemon juice.


A salt cod fish cake, which at six quid sounded like a starter, turned out to be gargantuan.

The golden and slightly too charred exterior gave way to soft and tender mashed spuds flecked with massive flakes of meaty salt cod. 

There was no risk of this dish lacking flavour as it was accompanied by a vibrant salsa verde; a citrusy salad of gherkin, cucumber, caper and lettuce; and a big dollop of silky and garlic-twanged aioli.


My other dish, a monkfish bang bang kebab (£19), was about twice the size of the plate it was served on. 

The soft and bubbly flatbread was topped with a skewer of warming spiced and meaty monkfish which held up well against its big-flavoured accompaniments - a smear of lentil dhal, creamy raitha, crunchy onions and chickpeas, tamarind ketchup and fresh tomatoes and herbs.


If that wasn't already enough for one person, it was served alongside a bowl of crusty-edged roasted potatoes and another huge dollop of aioli.


Somehow I managed to finish my feast but I needed a good five hour break before I ate anything else (that's a long time in my book).

Riley’s Fish Shack serves bold flavoured and very generously portioned fish dishes in a lovely setting. If you ever find yourself in Tyne and Wear then I recommend a visit.

The details:

Address - King Edward's Bay, Tynemouth NE30 4BY
Telephone - 0191 257 1371

No comments:

Post a Comment